Monitoring, as a system of monitoring processes existing in society, is one of the most important processes in activity. The results of monitoring help in making decisions in order to timely overcome or reduce the identified undesirable trends.
In October 2020, NGO "La Strada-Ukraine" carried out monitoring of shelters, including specialized shelters that provide assistance to persons affected by human trafficking.
The monitoring was carried out in order to increase the efficiency of the provision of services by entities that carry out measures in the field of combating human trafficking to the affected persons.
Monitoring is aimed at studying the availability of shelters for victims of human trafficking, the available resources for providing quality assistance to victims of human trafficking and the impact of introduced quarantine measures related to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic on the provision of services to victims of human trafficking.
Based on the results of the monitoring, recommendations were made to the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine, as the national coordinator in the field of combating human trafficking, and to the regional state administrations, as subjects of assistance to the affected persons:
To the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine:
- to work out the issue of the possibility of extending the period of stay of persons affected by human trafficking in centers of social and psychological assistance, especially those who participate in criminal proceedings until the relevant court decision is issued;
- to develop an algorithm of actions for emergency placement in the social and psychological assistance center of large groups of persons and persons with socially dangerous diseases;
- to work out the issue of the possibility of placing foreigners or stateless persons in centers of social and psychological assistance.
Regional state administrations:
- keep the issue of access of victims of human trafficking to shelters, in particular centers of social and psychological assistance, under constant control;
- to ensure the possibility of support from the regional and local budgets of existing shelters created by non-governmental organizations;
- when making a decision on the possibility of placing victims of human trafficking in institutions whose profile does not provide assistance to this category of citizens (centers for social support of children and families, mother and child centers, etc.), special attention should be paid to the training of the staff of the institutions to work with such persons;
- ensure the possibility of staying in shelters for persons of both sexes and, if necessary, with children, in particular up to three years of age;
- if necessary, ensure the possibility of the father staying in the shelter with the child;
- to prevent refusals to place persons in the center of social and psychological rehabilitation due to their lack of registration at the location of the shelter;
- during the drafting of local budget projects for the relevant year, provide for funds necessary for the implementation of tasks and measures to combat human trafficking.
The results of the monitoring were presented at the online round table "Protection and assistance to victims of human trafficking: access to shelters" on October 16, 2020.
You can read the full text of the monitoring at the following link: https://la-strada.org.ua/download/monitoryng-prytulkiv
The monitoring was carried out as part of the project "Advocacy to improve the response of the state and policy against human trafficking", which is implemented with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Norway